Who Should You Choose, and Why?
✋ Stick with your principal cloud provider
If you are currently embedded in the Azure or AWS ecosystem for other reasons, there is very little reason to store your data on the other provider. It adds unnecessary complexity and both are similarly expensive for the raw cost of storing data.
🤔 Strongly consider Azure Blob Storage over Amazon S3 if
- You use MBCS file formats or need Azure’s more durable object storage, which promises 16 9’s of durability in its Geo-Redundant Storage tier (GRS).
- You want to use storage types that automatically replicate your data cross-region.
📝 Other Notes
- Both platforms do exceptionally well compared to specialized storage providers in “eventing” (e.g., triggering AWS Lambda or Azure Functions off of storage events).
- On Amazon S3, you can also replicate your data cross-region, but it's a feature that needs enabling and can double your raw storage cost.
- Besides tiers, Azure has more varied types and versions of storage compared to AWS.