Amazon S3 vs. Storj DCS
Which is the best cloud object storage provider for you?
November 1, 2022
Who Should You Choose, and Why?
🤔 Strongly consider Amazon S3 over Storj DCS if
- You require extensive access control, life cycle, versioning and tagging features with your cloud storage service.
- You are deeply embedded in the rest of the AWS ecosystem, and need eventing features to trigger Lambda functions.
- You store lots of very small files.
🤔 Strongly consider Storj DCS over Amazon S3 if
- You want much cheaper storage with native replication across dozens upon dozens of regions and no minimum duration for storing files.
- You want a much simpler pricing structure to work with.
📝 Other Notes
- While Storj DCS does not have free egress, it is very cheap and comes with no caveats.
- Generally-speaking, the security benefits (by default) of a decentralized service like Storj DCS can be matched on distributed providers like AWS so long as you’re willing to put in the extra effort or pay potentially a lot more.
Amazon S3 is an object storage service offering industry-leading scalability, data availability, and performance for a wide array of use cases. Renowned for its durability, security, and scalability, Amazon S3 is designed to serve businesses of all sizes and across various industries. It provides straightforward storage management features, enabling users to organize data and configure finely-tuned access controls to meet specific business, organizational, and regulatory requirements.
Storj DCS offers economical cloud storage that excels in data redundancy and security, largely due to its decentralized network of storage node operators. The unique decentralized approach enables it to distribute data across numerous nodes, resulting in unparalleled redundancy. Moreover, Storj DCS boasts default security features that outshine many other providers, ensuring data stored in its network remains confidential and well-protected against potential threats.
What’s Covered in This Comparison
- Storj charges a "Per Segment Fee" of $0.0000088 after you've breached the 10,000 Segment per Project free tier. A Segment is any file that is under 64MB, or any 64MB parts of files greater than 64MB.
- While Amazon S3 offers extra-redundancy tiers of storage, data stored on Storj DCS is already geo-redundant within its single tier of storage.
Integration With Other Services